1. News: Assam govt. unveils electric vehicle policy
Source: The Hindu
The Assam government has unveiled an electric vehicle (EV) policy for phasing out vehicles running on fossil fuels by 2030.
- Highlights of the Policy:
- The policy aims to introduce at least 200,000 electric vehicles (EVs) within the next five years through a set of incentives for buyers.
- It entails converting all government vehicles and fleet of public buses to electric and deploying 2 lakh EVs within the next five years.
- In order to encourage people to buy EVs, the state government will give a subsidy of ₹20,000 on two-wheelers, ₹50,000 for three-wheelers and ₹1.5 lakh for four-wheelers.
- There will be 100% exemption of registration fees, road tax and parking fees for EVs.
- It also envisages charging stations for EVs across the state. Entrepreneurs setting up the stations will get a 90% discount on their electricity bills for the first five years.