1. News: Greece creates a Ministry to deal with climate crisis
Source: The Hindu
Greece government has created a new Ministry to address the impact of climate change.
- This is done in the wake of massive wildfires.
- The Ministry will look into firefighting, disaster relief and policies to adapt to rising temperatures resulting from climate change.
2. News: Manda buffalo
The National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR) has recognised the Manda buffalo as the 19th unique breed of buffaloes found in India.
- Four breeds of cattle – Binjharpuri, Motu, Ghumusari and Khariar – and two breeds of buffalo – Chilika and Kalahandi – and one breed of sheep, Kendrapada, have already received NBAGR recognition.
- Habitat: They are found in the Eastern Ghats and plateau of Koraput region of Odisha.
- The small, sturdy buffaloes are used for ploughing in their native habitat.
- Characteristics: These buffaloes have ash grey and grey coats with copper-coloured hair. Some animals are silver white in colour.
- Speciality of the Breed: The Manda are resistant to parasitic infections, less prone to diseases and can live, produce and reproduce at low or nil input systems.
- NBAGR: Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) -National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources, Karnal (ICAR-NBAGR) is the nodal agency for the registration of newly identified germplasm of livestock and poultry of the country.
- Significance of Recognition: The state and the Centre will make efforts to conserve this unique buffalo genetic resource of Odisha and enhance their productivity through breeding strategy.