1. News : China opens first road-rail transport link to Indian Ocean
Source: The Hindu
- This project provides China a new road-rail transportation channel to the Indian Ocean.
- The transport corridor involves a sea-road-rail link.
- This passage connects the logistics lines of Singapore, Myanmar and China, and is currently the most convenient land and sea channel linking the Indian Ocean with southwest China
- Chinese planners have looked at the Gwadar port in Pakistan as another key outlet to the Indian Ocean that will bypass the Malacca Straits
- China also has plans to develop another port in Kyaukphyu in the Rakhine state, including a proposed railway line from Yunnan directly to the port