1. News : Madur mats
Source: The Hindu
Two women from West Bengal have been given the National Handicraft Award in recognition of their outstanding skills in making Madur floor mats that are unique to West Bengal.
- Also known as Madurkathi, these mats are awarded the Geographical Indication (GI) tag by the Geographical Indication Registry in April 2018.
- Madurkathi is a rhizome-based plant.
2. News :Vaccinated pilgrims can visit Kartarpur
Source: Indian Express
Pakistan has decided to allow fully vaccinated Sikh pilgrims to visit Gurdwara Darbar Sahib, Kartarpur with strict COVID-19 protocols.
- Kartarpur corridor: The Kartarpur corridor connects the Darbar Sahib Gurdwara in Narowal district of Pakistan with the Dera Baba Nanak shrine in Gurdaspur district in India’s Punjab province
- The agreement will facilitate visa-free movement of Indian pilgrims who would just need a permit to cross over to Pakistan.