1. News : Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana
Source: Indian Express
Odisha Chief Minister, Naveen Patnaik, announced that his government will provide smart health cards under Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana.
- It is a universal health coverage scheme, Smart health cards will be provided to 3.5 crore people in 96 lakh families in the state.
- Odisha is the first state in India to provide such smart health cards
- Beneficiaries of national & state food security schemes and Annapurna and Antyodaya initiatives will be provided these cards.
- Under it, women can avail treatment up to Rs 10 lakh per year.
- Other family members will get the benefit of up to Rs 5lakh each.
2. News :Hazaras of Afghanistan
Source: The Hindu
The Hazaras have long faced violent persecution from the Taliban and Islamic State for their ethnicity and religious beliefs.
- Historical background: Around 1773, the mountainous region of Hazarajat in modern-day central Afghanistan was annexed and made a part of the territories of Afghan Empire under Pashtun ruler Ahmad Shah Durrani.
- The Sunni Muslim majority under the Pashtun ruler resulted in further marginilisation of the Shiite Hazara community, to the extent that in the 18th and 19th century, they were forced to leave fertile lowlands in central Afghanistan and make the dry, arid mountainous landscape their new home.
- Hazaras, the minority Shia community, is an ethnic community of Afghanistan.
- This ethnic and religious minority group largely found in the rugged and mountainous central Afghan region of Hazarajat.