1. News : Siachen Glacier
Source: Indian Express
Team CLAW, a team of people with disabilities, has embarked upon a journey to trek the Siachen Glacier on Independence Day
- Team CLAW’ includes a group of armed forces veterans working towards empowering people with disabilities.
- Siachen:The entire Siachen Glacier, with all major passes, is currently under the administration of India since 1984 (Operation Meghdoot).
- It is the Second-Longest glacier in the World’s Non-Polar areas.
- The Siachen Glacier is located in the Eastern Karakoram range in the Himalayas, just northeast of Point NJ9842 where the Line of Control between India and Pakistan ends.
- sometimes called the “Third Pole”.
- It forms part of the Leh district of the Ladakh division in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir
2. News : Three new species of wild balsam identified Kerala
Source: The Hindu
- The species belong to the genus Impatiens (family Balsaminaceae).
- Plants of this genus are popular as ‘Kashithumba’ in Malayalam.
- They were spotted in the Western Ghats region of southern Kerala and the Idukki district.