1. News :Al-Mohed Al-Hindi 2021:
Source: The Hindu
- It is the maiden bilateral naval exercise between India and Saudi Arabia. It is being held in Saudi.
- To participate in the exercise, India’s guided-missile destroyer INS Kochi reached Saudi Arabia
- INS Kochi: It is the second ship of Kolkata-class stealth guided-missile destroyers. It was built for Indian Navy under the code name Project 15A.
2. News : Common survey to count elephants and tigers
Source: The Hindu
- From December, India will move to a system that will count tigers and elephants as part of a common survey
- The World Elephant Day is celebrated on 12th August every year to spread awareness for the conservation and protection of the largest mammal on land
- Given that 90% of the area occupied by elephants and tigers is commonthe tiger survey is usually held once in four years and elephants are counted once in five years.,
- Asian elephants are listed as “endangered” on the IUCN Red List of threatened species
- Asian Elephants: There are three subspecies of Asian elephant which are the Indian, Sumatran and Sri Lankan
- Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972: Schedule I.
- Conservation efforts by GOI
- Gaj Yatra
- Monitoring the Illegal Killing of Elephant (MIKE)
- Project Elephant 1992
- Surakshya Portal
3. News : GSLV-F10 fails to put satellite into orbit
Source: Indian Express
- EOS-3 was the first state-of-the-art agile Earth Observation Satellite intended to be placed in a geo-synchronous orbit around the Earth.
- EOS-03 is capable of imaging the entire country four to five times every day.
- GSLV:GSLV expands to ‘geosynchronous satellite launch vehicle’.
- The GSLV Mark II is the largest launch vehicle built by India and is capable of longer ranges and higher load-carrying capacity. Hence GSLVs are used for launching larger satellites to higher orbits.
- The GSLV is basically a three-stage vehicle with solid, liquid and cryogenic stages respectively.