1. News :The sixth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change is released.
Source: The Hindu
- Intergovernmental panel on climate change IPCC: The IPCC, an intergovernmental body was established in 1988 by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- Geneva based
- It was later endorsed by the UN General Assembly. Membership is open to all members of the WMO and UN.
- The IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report was a critical scientific input into the UNFCCC’s Paris Agreement in 2015.
- What are IPCC reports? The IPCC does not carry out original research, nor does it monitor climate or related phenomena itself.
- IPCC reports cover the scientific, technical and socioeconomic information relevant to understanding the scientific basis of risk of human-induced climate change, its potential impacts and options for adaptation and mitigation.
2. News : Ujjwala 2.0 scheme
Source: Indian Express
- The government has launched the second phase of the Ujjwala gas connection scheme for the poor.
- In this phase, migrant workers will be able to get a free gas connection on the basis of a self-declaration.
- They are not required to submit additional documents as proof of address.
- Along with a deposit-free LPG connection, Ujjwala 2.0 will provide the first refill and a hotplate free of cost to the beneficiaries.
- It was launched in May 2016 to provide LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) connections to poor households
- Eligible families are identified through the Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) list.
- To be eligible for this scheme, the woman must be above 18 years of age and must belong to a BPL (Below Poverty Line) household.