Question : Fundamental Duties, though significant, have certain limitations. Examine.
Structure of the answer
- The first part of the answer, after briefly introducing fundamental duties, should focus on its importance.
- The second part should contain the primary drawbacks which hinder its unanimous acceptance.
The fundamental duties were enshrined in the constitution via the 42nd amendment (1976). They aim at presenting a set of obligations for every citizen of India.
Significance of Fundamental Duties
- Its continuance since decades speaks of its relevance. Its serves as a reminder to the citizens that while enjoying their rights, they must be aware of their duties.
- The fundamental duties have underpinned various legislative developments.
- The judiciary has also several times, found consolations in the projections of the FDs. Additionally the way of natural justice are propagated amongst the citizens.
- The anti-national &anti-social activities are restrained under the umbrella of fundamental duties.
Limitations of Fundamental duties
- Primarily non- justiciable, flouting of the fundamental duties doesn’t draw legal action.
- The exact nature of the fundamental duties seems to be lost amongst the vague descriptions, hence its impact is narrow
- As not many initiatives are available for creating awareness regarding its importance, conscious realization of fundamental duties is absent amongst the citizens.
- Being part of the appendage to part IV of the constitution, diminishes the merit of the FDs as it lacks the importance ordained upon the FRs.
In-spite of the restrictions which mellow down the true essence of FDs, a developing nation like India requires a consolidated effort to balance the rights and duties of a citizen.